Thursday, November 4, 2010

On Being a Working Mommy

Being a working mommy is tough stuff! Thankfully, I am blessed with a job that I love and people I love to work with. I am also blessed with a job that has ideal hours for being a mom. It's never easy to say goodbye to that sweet face in the mornings and send him off to play with someone else for the day, but every afternoon and evening is SO precious to us as we "catch up" with each other about our day. I know we will never take each other for granted. I'm sure there will be horrible moments where I have to hear, "I don't want you to leave, Mommy!" but I know that God will get us through that and then when I get to work one of my working mommy friends will talk me down off the ledge :). One thing about being a working mom is that you never take one moment with your baby for granted. There is not one diaper I don't appreciate getting to change and not one bottle that I'm not thankful to be able to give. Every smile is as great as the first smile and rocking him to sleep is a privilege I cherish. I know stay-at-home mommies feel that way, too of course. But for me, it's not something I get to do all day every day so every moment with Reid is exciting. Of course, I'd rather be at home with him and I believe that one day God will call me to that. But for now we are trucking along as two working parents with a new baby and God is drawing us so close to each other and to him through this experience.

Being a parent with Jesse has been the most fun! We are such a team. A "well oiled machine" we like to say! We've pretty much got the hang of everything now, though you might hear a "HOLY CRAP!" over a diaper every now and then. Those moments keep us laughing at and with each other. I'll never forget the Saturday morning that Jes was so proud of himself for getting up with Reid and giving him his bottle and letting me sleep. He was even going to surprise me and have Reid all dressed when I got up. Then I hear this pitiful, "Baaaabe? Can you come here?" Haha! I will always be able to see Jesse's face in my mind when I walked in that room and saw poop EVERYWHERE! He was just standing there frozen and said, "What do I do? His butt exploded!" Love that man. He is such a good daddy and is so involved and hands-on. Just last night I was taking a bath in Reid's bathroom relaxing and reading while Jes gave the bedtime bottle. I could hear Jesse reading to Reid and Reid "cooing" back. It melted my heart. It's hard to imagine feeling more love than I did right then!!!

All that to say, being a working mommy is hard, but manageable and God is blessing us so much and teaching us so much through it all. So far I haven't missed any of Reid's big moments and I really believe God will honor me and my choices and make sure I get to see ALL Reid's firsts. Even if I'm not with him all day. God bless ALL my working mommy friends. I think he has a special place in his heart for us!!! :) I'm so glad I have had you to lean on and help me transition! XOXO

No comments: