Tuesday, November 9, 2010

My Grandmother - Grammy

Josephine Rose Schloot is my grandmother. (My mom's mom). We are very close. She and my grandfather have been a huge part of my life in every aspect. We lived with them for a few months before we moved to Tennessee. Before they moved down here from Michigan they came to visit a lot. Sometimes just for my birthday. Paul and I were very spoiled because we were the only grandkids up until I was 22 and Zane was born. My grandparents came to all my shows, came to see me cheer, were at my graduations...they've been there for everything. What a blessing. When I was at Lipscomb my grandmother sent me cards all the time with encouraging words and a little cash here and there. She always gave me money to help while I was in school. When I was in high school I would go over to their house all the time and take naps and visit and talk. When I was little my grandmother read me Beatrix Potter books. (little books for little hands). I always call her with all my life news. She has always been there for me. I am so thankful for her. When I was only about three years old we found out she had ovarian cancer. VERY advanced and she wasn't expected to make it. But the Lord is bigger than cancer and she was described by her doctors as a "walking miracle." I don't remember much about that time except trying on her wig. :) Then a few years ago we found out she had colon cancer. God brought her through that as well. I remember her saying that she was just worried that if she died that Zane wouldn't remember her. God has allowed her precious time with Zane. She still keeps him in the afternoons.

Today we found out she has cancer again. They found it on her liver and possibly on her lungs. It just doesn't seem possible that we are here AGAIN. I am praying so hard and yet I don't really know what to pray for. All I can think about right now is that sometimes I wish I was still little and could go spend the night at her house and have her read to me. What is it that makes a grandmothers house so cozy and her voice so comforting? I want so badly for Reid to know his great-grandmother and experience that cozy house and hear her read him a story. So....I don't want to pray selfishly. I just pray that God will envelope her and that no matter what happens, it's all peaceful for her. That she is at peace with whatever happens. And hopefully we can all be at peace with it too. I know God is capable of more than we can ask or imagine and He has had her story written for a long time. I find all my comfort in knowing that God is never surprised by the events in our lives. He is the author of our stories. Lord, bless my grandmother from head to toe. Wrap your arms around her and give her rest and peace. Ease her mind and spirit.

If you read this, please pray for my Grammy.

Reid and his Great-Grammy. The first time they met.

No comments: