Thursday, July 15, 2010

Reid is Three Weeks Old Today!



I can't believe that our little monkey has been a part of this world for three weeks. It's amazing and as I look back at pictures of the day he was born and I realize how FAR we've come in three weeks, I am humbled by the truth and the truth is that God was there, he is here NOW and he WILL be here always with our little family.

This week has been full of changes. The nurses kept telling me that the whole eating thing would just "click" with Reid when he was ready. He would take 10ml of his bottle and pass out and I would sit and think we would be there forever. The next day, the kid DOWNED his bottle like nobody's business and has been ever since. It really did just "click!" So then they decided he was doing well enough to do a bottle at every feeding and NOW he nurses for about 20 minutes and then takes his bottle and it's like he's been doing it all his life :). His little cheeks are getting chubby and he's gaining weight like crazy! His umbilical cord fell off so he got to take a tub bath and that was so much fun!

The biggest change this week is that the doctor told me today that we are on the countdown to HOME!!! If Reid can be apnea free for five days in a row he can go home. So today was day one. If he continues doing well we will be able to "room in" with him at the hospital on Monday night and take him home on Tuesday!!! I couldn't help but cry when she told me. It's what we've been praying to hear.

"Rooming In" means that we spend the night in the hospital with Reid and get a trial night. How brilliant! We are so thankful that they aren't just sending us home with a "good luck!" This way we can spend the first night we have him on our own with our nurses just down the hall checking in and helping us get used to not having our boy hooked up to monitors. Its going to be scary, but wonderful! I am actually pretty anxious about bringing him home. So excited, don't get me wrong, but a little terrified!! Thank God for wonderful nurses who are so compassionate and gave us their home phone number to call whenever we have a question or worry! I hope God showers blessings on our nurses. They are true angels.

Anyway, things are great. Better than great. Things are miraculous any way you look at it. We are blessed. We are SO blessed.






2 comments:

The Kelley Family said...

He just keeps getting cuter and cuter!!! His little cheeks are starting to fill out - so sweet! I'm so happy to hear that the nursing is going great!!!!!!!! So happy for you guys and can't wait to meet the lil man!

Katie said...

Ems, I am thrilled to hear that Reid is SO close to coming home! I will be praying for him as well as you and Jesse as you enter this next stage of parenthood at home! Reid is so beautiful, by the way! Much love.